[OT] Voting systems [was Wrong ad on www.linux.org]

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 2 17:25:26 UTC 2004

I was intrigued to see that the Marijuana Party was substantially ahead of
the Marxist-Leninists.

Years ago I lived in the third floor of an appartment building, in the
company of some ML folks on the second floor. The landlord was very stingy
with heat in the winter, and so I tried to recruit the other tenants to the
cause of putting pressure on the landlord. Everyone was willing to join in
this effort except the ML people. They had bigger fish to fry, intent as
they were on inciting world revolution by handing out leaflets at the corner
of Bathurst and Bloor.

Peter

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:58:25PM -0400, Phillip Mills wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>
> > Simply, in each riding, you pick a candidate to win with probability
> > proportional to the number of votes he/she received.
>
> That's rather clever and might even result in more people voting.
> (i.e. There's no sense of, "why bother, this riding is obviously a
> 2-horse race.")
>
> Of course, to save time and money, you could just randomly select one
> person from each riding as *THE* voter and he/she/it gets to name the
> representative.  It should be the same distribution.  :-)

> Phillip Mills
> Multi-platform software development
> (416) 224-0714

Peter D. Hiscocks