immortal process? (there can be only one!)

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 30 20:42:39 UTC 2004

Hey All,

On my RedHat9 2.4 kernel workstation, I found three instances of
'updatedb' running.  All three of them appear to be dead (consuming no
memory or CPU time).  I've tried killing them (including kill -9), but the
process refuse to die.  This is the first time I've encountered this.  It
doesn't appear to be a zombie process since init hasn't removed it, and
the three undead 'updatedb' instances are interfering with subsequent
attempts at running updatedb.

Anyone know of a solution short of a reboot?

TIA
-Jing