strange problem removing files

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 30 04:51:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Alex Maynard wrote:

> Thanks very much. That's a good suggestion. Unfortunately, it is still
> giving me the same error when I try to remove the files. I also tried
> rebooting - but again I got the same error message.

Type /sbin/mount and look to see if the filesystem is mounted rw or
ro (read-write or read-only).

If it is ro try the mount command Jing Su mentioned again and then
execute /sbin/mount again.  Advise us of the results.

Rob

> Alex
>
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Jing Su wrote:
>
> > Try remounting it again as root:
> > mount -o remount,rw /windows
> > and then try removing the file again.
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Alex Maynard wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:47:50 -0500
> > > From: Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org>
> > > To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> > > Subject: [TLUG]: strange problem removing files
> > >

> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I'm a bit confused on error message I get trying to remove files on a
> > > second hard-drive (a windows partition mounted on linux) and just thought
> > > I'd check to see if anyone had any suggestions or in case I'm missing
> > > something obvious.
> > >
> > > I am getting the following error:
> > >
> > > rm: cannot remove `apsi0814_100_100.fmt': Read-only file system
> > >
> > > The strange thing is through that:
> > >
> > > 1. in /etc/fstab the disk (/windows) is mounted rw:
> > >
> > > /dev/hdb1               /windows                vfat
> > > rw,noauto,dev,exec,async,uni_xlate,suid,user,nonumtail,uid=25732
> > >
> > > 2. the files have me as user and permissions set to rw.  Permissions on
> > > the directories are all rwx
> > >
> > > 3. These files had just been written to the disk yesterday and I had been
> > > able to delete some other files that had been written at the same time.
> > >
> > > Earlier this morning the /hdb partition did fill up to 100% capacity and
> > > the files I've been storing there are unusually large. I
> > > don't know if that could have caused a problem? Or maybe I'm just missing
> > > something obvious?
> > >
> > > Alex
> > >

> > > ------------
> > > Alex Maynard
> > > Assistant Professor
> > > Department of Economics
> > > University of Toronto
> > > 150 St. George St., N304
> > > Toronto ON M5S 3G7
> > > Canada
> > > e-mail: amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
> > > tel: (416) 978-4358
> > >

> > > --
> > > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
> > > TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
> >

> ------------
> Alex Maynard
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Economics
> University of Toronto
> 150 St. George St., N304
> Toronto ON M5S 3G7
> Canada
> e-mail: amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
> tel: (416) 978-4358

Robert Brockway
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.
Phone: 416-669-3073, Email: rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org, http://www.opentrend.net
OpenTrend Solutions: Reliable, secure solutions to real world problems.