relocation error when running java

Chris Gow cgow-FlpYSvOe4acWeH+WijV1tNBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 29 21:35:31 UTC 2004

Hello:

I've just started getting an 'undefined symbol' error whenever I start
up java. The exact error is:

/usr/local/java/bin/java: relocation error:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.so.1: undefined symbol: XGetDefault.

Java was working up until yesterday. I'm running Suse 8.2 w/Ximian
Desktop 2.0 and I did some updates and installed mono yesterday. The
error started occuring after I did the update/install.  Looking at the
datestamp of the so file shows that the file hasn't been touched since I
installed Linux in the summer. I did a strings on libXcursor and
XGetDefault does appear in there. As an aside, is there a better way to
figure out what functions are available in a shared object file?

Any clues how to trace this problem? (without resorting to uninstalling
mono).

tia

-- sniff