[fwd] How NOT to build an open source site...

Mike Kallies mgjk-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 29 17:26:20 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 13:34, Byron Sonne wrote:
> A simple mistake, at least they're running Linux on their server.  They may
> have good intentions.  I be willing to bet that If they add the following
> line to their apache config that all will be well:
>
>   AddType text/html .shtml
>
> Their pages rendered fine for me once saved to local disk.

This is a pet-peeve of mine with MS IE.  It renders a text/plain as
text/html if it is "valid" html.  It's an IE bug, but if you tell a site
owner that their site doesn't work unless you're using IE, they'll say
the problem is the browser, not the server.

I mean, IE 5.5 renders the following CGI as HTML, whereas Mozilla and
Netscape render it properly as text:

#!/bin/sh
cat <<EOF

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>This is a test</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>This is an HTML body
</BODY>
</HTML>
EOF

Of course, I only know this because I've made the same mistake myself :-)

I have it posted ( http://vorpal.ca/cgi-bin/blah.cgi ) if anyone has
newer versions of IE/Konqueror/whatever they want to throw at it.

-Mike