Debian: Reconfiguring X to new video card

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 22:29:20 UTC 2004

Well, I downloaded and configured most of the packages and dependencies. Then
came the X server. I was not given the option to configure radeon as the
chipset (I could only get ati), and dpkg-reconfigure would not write the new
configuration to /etc/X11/XF86Config. So I ran it with the original
configuration I intended for the card, with "radeon" as the driver in the
Screens section.

It crashed with the error "no screens found". I looked at the X11 error log
under /var/log, and I saw 4 sub-versions of my card listed in the informational
part of the debug output.

There was two warnings and one error message. One warning was X complaining
about APM failing (I don't use APM on a PC), and the other was about the
Cyrillic font not being found.

Just about everything after that was informational, except the last status
message, an error saying "No devices detected". This is with agpgart and radeon
modules loaded.

Paul King