Debian: Reconfiguring X to new video card

pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 17:11:44 UTC 2004

> From: Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
> Date: 2004/01/28 Wed AM 10:30:29 EST
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Debian: Reconfiguring X to new video card

> Try upgrading to XFree86 4.3 as others have suggested, then make sure
> your XF86Config-4 file specifies "radeon" rather than "ati" as the
> driver module for the video card.  Debian seems to not detect Radeons
> properly (even the "unstable" version detects my Radeon 7000 as a ATI
> Radeon VE and loads "ati" rather than "radeon" module for it).  Also,
> take a look on the ATI website under "drivers".  They have special
> FireGL drivers for Linux for their 9x00 cards.

DOne that. Thanks. I am currently downloading the debs for the 4.3.0 packages in X

> You may also have to get the latest 2.4 kernel to have support for the
> 4.3 version DRI modules (radeon amongst them).  The latest kernel also
> has added support for AGP devices, although that is probably not the
> problem in your case.
>
> Also, try:
>
> # lsmod | grep agp
> # lsmod | grep radeon

I don't see any of these running. But that is probably because X is not running. I know that agpart.o usually runs. I also have a module for radeon (radeon.o), which *I think* runs.

> to see if the radeon/agp drivers are loaded.  Load them if they aren't,
> then do:
>
> # dmesg | grep agp
> # dmesg | grep radeon

I get:

     bash (54) $ dmesg | grep radeon
     [drm] Initialized radeon 1.1.1 20010405 on minor 0

> if there is a problem with your hardware drivers, there should be an
> error in there.  If you can't figure it out, send the output to the list.
>
> Which kernel version are you running?
>
> # uname -a

Version 2.4.18-k7 - That's the Debian stock kernel for the AMD K7 processor.

Attempts to compile a 2.6 kernel were met with failures in X coming up, even with my old Radeon card. I also get no printer and no network, no sound, no nothing even with using compilation settings I have been accustomed to using for years in "make xconfig". In addition, the number of modules that are loaded under 2.6 is extremely low. Therefore, I still have to boot into 2.4.

Paul King