DNS, redux

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 27 22:23:30 UTC 2004

Sorry for the delay... New baby's consume many cycles... ;) (even when
they are your friends'!)

The setup is like this;
Master zones are on 209.167.86.46
Slave zones are on 209.167.86.38 and ..34
The IP slice of our public IP block is 209.167.86.32/27

On the registrar for my domain I set the NS to
'ns1.madisonave.ca/209.167.86.46' and 'ns2.madisonave.ca/209.167.86.38'

I am currently setting up the 'madisonave.ca' zone and once it is up I
have about 15/20 more zones to move. The rest are for my new job so I need
to be sure I have the right setup files.

Below I will attach a protion of my 'named.conf' and the full zone files
for 'madisonave.ca' and 'alteeve.com'. The later is a live domain and will
be the second to try migrating. I will also include the relevant portions
of the named.conf file from the slave (both slaves are the same).

Just before though, do I handle the names 'ns1..' and 'ns2..' the same as
any other domain name or do I need to somehow "register" them as name
servers? Also, beyond the registrar record pointing at 'ns1..' and 'ns2..'
how do I make sure other NSs know where to look for those name servers? I
ask because I've noticed some registrars won't let you enter a NS IP
anymore, only the FQDN.

  Thank you very much! The files follow;

 -= Master '/etc/named.conf' =-
# Written/maintained by Madison Kelly, sysadmin-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
# Master DNS config file (FQDN = ns1.alteeve.com @ 209.167.86.46)

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forward only;
        forwarders {
                142.77.2.36 ;
        };
        pid-file "/var/named/named.pid";
};

zone "." in {
        type hint;
        file "named.cache";
};

zone "alteeve.com" in {
        type master;
        file "db.alteeve.com";
};

zone "madisonave.ca" in {
        type master;
        file "db.madisonave.ca";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
};

zone "86.167.209.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "db.209.167.86.32-27";
};

include "/etc/rndc.key";
 -= End '/etc/named.conf' (some zones omitted) =-

 -= zone file 'db.madisonave.ca' =-
$TTL 38400      ; 10 hours 40 minutes

@       IN SOA  ns1.madisonave.ca. sysadmin.alteeve.com. (   ; <domain>
IN SOA <master NS> <email of RP>
        2004012302      ; serial
        10800           ; refresh (3 hours)
        3600                    ; retry (1 hour)
        1d                      ; expire (1 day)
        38400           ; minimum (10 hours 40 minutes)
        )

                                IN NS   ns1.madisonave.ca.
                                IN NS   ns2.madisonave.ca.
madisonave.ca.          IN MX   10 mail.madisonave.ca.

localhost                       IN A            127.0.0.1
madisonave.ca.          IN A            209.167.86.38

; Aliases
www                             IN CNAME        madisonave.ca.
ftp                             IN CNAME        madisonave.ca.
mail                            IN CNAME        madisonave.ca.
forum                   IN CNAME        madisonave.ca.

rt                              IN A            209.167.86.46
ns1.madisonave.ca.      IN A            209.167.86.46
ns2.madisonave.ca.      IN A            209.167.86.38
 -= End zone file 'db.madisonave.ca' =-

 -= zone file 'db.alteeve.com' =-
$TTL 38400      ; 10 hours 40 minutes

@       IN SOA  ns1.madisonave.ca. sysadmin.alteeve.com. (   ; <domain>
IN SOA <master NS> <email of RP>
        2004012301      ; serial
        10800           ; refresh (3 hours)
        3600                    ; retry (1 hour)
        1d                      ; expire (1 day)
        38400           ; minimum (10 hours 40 minutes)
        )

                                IN NS   ns1.madisonave.ca.
                                IN NS   ns2.madisonave.ca.
alteeve.com.            IN MX   10 mail.alteeve.com.

localhost                       IN A    127.0.0.1
alteeve.com.            IN A    209.167.86.38

; Aliases
www                             IN CNAME        alteeve.com.
ftp                             IN CNAME        alteeve.com.
mail                            IN CNAME        alteeve.com.
forum                   IN CNAME        alteeve.com.
 -= End zone file 'db.madisonave.ca' =-

  Thanks so much!

Madison