a little script

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 27 01:51:59 UTC 2004

I want to write a little script, if that's the right word. Never done
anything like that. Switching to VMware W98 vm means disabling cdrom,
floppy, serial  amd parallel ports in linux first. I tried making a
little panel applet containing the commands,

su; [password]; /sbin/service cups stop; /sbin/modprobe -r lp

to free up the parallel port so the W98 vm can use it.

I guess this is not the correct syntax, or panel icons cannot accept
plain text passwords, or I am tryiing to do more than a panel icon can
handle. I'm not looking to be coddled here (honestly), but if I want to
write little things like this (and I doubt it will be the last) what
should I be reading up on? Scripting, programming? Shell scripting?

Already I can see I'll be wanting to expand that to umount floppy, cdrom
and God-knows-what-else.

I'm looking into taking on an extremely part-time assistant for a
business I am starting (in Timmins - that should dissolve any interest
out there). I want to set up icons to do a lot of these kinds of things.
I know, I know, make 'em use the command-line. Up here, I'll ne happy if
they'll be adventurous enough to use linux at all.

Chris