Oops - Nameserver Problems

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 26 20:32:19 UTC 2004

At 10:20 AM 01/26/2004, Rob  wrote:
>At irregular intervals, when I attempt to access a site in Mozilla or
>Konqueror it will hang saying, 'Resolving xyz.xom'. If I restart the
>browser after killing mozilla-bin it will work fine again.

I don't know about Kongueror but it is a known (to me at least) problem in
Mozilla in Linux (and Netscape under Windows too IIRC). When you run
Mozilla, a separate task is also running. All connections (or at least the
name lookups go through the separate task). Sometimes that other task gets
confused or locks up and all your Mozilla/Netscape windows will pretty much
grind to a halt. Exit the program normally and then check the list of
running tasks. You will often then see the piece of Mozilla/Netscape that
is still there which is the piece that is causing problems. Kill that
remnant and restart the program and you should be back in business again.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb-XXPEJ3/fxIc at public.gmane.org#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"