why is -lXaw3d not found by ldd?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 26 15:14:18 UTC 2004

David Tilbrook <dt-hKuJ9UrQZDM at public.gmane.org> writes:

> When linking xfig with the following arguments:
>
> 	-L/usr/X11R6/lib -ljpeg -lpng -lz \
> 	-lXi -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXpm \
> 	-lXext -lXaw3d \
> 	-lX11 -lm

This looks a little odd.  You're linking with Xaw and Xaw3d.  Shouldn't it be
one or the other?

> and then running ldd on the resulting binary I get (in part):

> 	libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4016b000)
> 	libXaw3d.so.7 => not found

The Debian README for Xaw3d suggests that, at one time, libXaw3d.so was built
with its soname set to libXaw.so instead of libXaw3d.so to make it easier to
use as a builtin replacement for libXaw.  Apparently this causes problems and
it's no longer built this way in Debian.  I wonder if this could be your
problem on RH.  Running:

    objdump -p /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.so.7.0

will show you the soname and may give you a hint as to the problem.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada