Windows to NT

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 26 15:14:34 UTC 2004

A couple of weeks ago I began to have problems with nameserver lookups.
It turned out that there were multiple problems with my router and
network setup - as usual :-) Anyway, after things stabilized I managed
to pin things down a little more and this is what's happening now.

At irregular intervals, when I attempt to access a site in Mozilla or
Konqueror it will hang saying, 'Resolving xyz.xom'. If I restart the
browser after killing mozilla-bin it will work fine again. My setup
looks like this:

| Krud 9 box w/static 192.168.x.x IP | -> | E-smith Router | -> | DHCP
to Airport | -> | Airport DHCP to Sympatico DSL

I'm running KRUD 9, a Redhat variant on my box and E-Smith 6.3 on the
router.

The net connection and nameserver access are fine when I use them from
the shell, ie 'host xyz.com' works fine from the command line. So, it
looks to me as though the problem is with something common to Konqueror
and Mozilla losing track of the nameservers. Anyone have any thoughts?

Rob
--
Cheapersafer Computer Support
We Help - http://www.cheapersafer.com