Delete CUPS print job. Was:turning off printing or parallel port

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 25 20:51:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:42:27AM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Now I have a long CUPS print job in the queue which I would liek to delete.
>
> I tried the following:
>
> [lsf-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]$ lpq -P hp
> hp is ready and printing
> Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
> active  lsf     9       (stdin)                         22528 bytes
> [lsf-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]$ lprm 9
> [lsf-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]$ lpq -P hp
> hp is ready
> no entries
> [lsf-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]$
>
> So, it's reporting the job is gone, but it's still printing. Is this a case
> where powering the inkjet printer off to clear its own cache (if it has one)
> would be necessary?

lprm can't clear the printer once the job has started printing.  It
won't clear the printer cache since it has no way to do that.  Either
cancel the job on the printer after canceling it in cups or turn it off
and back on again (although some printers get pretty confused by that
actually if other things are still queueing data for the port).

Lennart Sorensen