Microsoft -- Get the facts on Windows and Linux

David Tilbrook dt-hKuJ9UrQZDM at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 25 20:14:50 UTC 2004

James Knott wrote:
> Garth Meisel wrote:
>
>> Roughly Sat January 24 2004 12:38 pm, Rick Tomaschuk said:
>>
>>> Microsoft is pushing cost advantages of Windows over Linux.
>>> I guess when you have a monopoly the costs can be cheaper for
>>> some...
>>>
>>> Check out:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/facts/analyses.asp
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> If you look closely at the WebSphere benchmarks, none of them were run
>> on Linux, the platform IBM recommends for WebSphere. They were all run
>> on AIX, an operating system IBM is phasing out.
>

> One useful(?) thing I found is Microsoft "Services for Unix", which can
> be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/downloads/default.asp
>
> It says only for XP Pro.  I wonder if it's possible to make it work with
> XP Home, as I don't feel like giving his Billyness any more money.

SFU is indeed free and will work on W2K as well as XP pro,
but not XP personal.  Bite the bullet ... XP is only $30.

Warning: SFU needs to be on an NTFS file system.

SFU combined with an X server it provides a quite reasonable
environment if one is forced to use windows.

Unfortunately one does need the C++.net product to build software.

There are minor glitches -- really slow when accessing samba file
systems and I have not as yet got the nfs stuff working.

-- dt