why is -lXaw3d not found by ldd?

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 25 04:15:48 UTC 2004

Have you tried asking Brian V. Smith, maintainer of xfig, this question?
He's a very helpful guy and his email address is under the 'help' menue.

(Mind you, if you can't get the thing operational, this suggestion won't be
much help, but I can give his address in that case.)

Peter

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:28:33PM -0500, David Tilbrook wrote:
> When linking xfig with the following arguments:
>
> 	-L/usr/X11R6/lib -ljpeg -lpng -lz \
> 	-lXi -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXpm \
> 	-lXext -lXaw3d \
> 	-lX11 -lm
>
> and then running ldd on the resulting binary I get (in part):

> 	libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4016b000)
> 	libXaw3d.so.7 => not found
>
> yet /usr/X11R6/lib contains libXaw3d.so.7 with the same modes
> and ownership as libXext.so.6:
>
> 	-rw-r--r-- root root libXaw3d.a
> 	lrwxrwxrwx root root libXaw3d.so -> libXaw3d.so.7.0
> 	lrwxrwxrwx root root libXaw3d.so.7 -> libXaw3d.so.7.0
> 	-rwxr-xr-x root root libXaw3d.so.7.0
> 	-rw-r--r-- root root libXext.a
> 	lrwxrwxrwx root root libXext.so -> libXext.so.6.4
> 	lrwxrwxrwx root root libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4
> 	-rwxr-xr-x root root libXext.so.6.4
>
> file libXext.so.6.4 libXaw3d.so.7.0 yields the same description,
> yet for some reason -lXaw3d does not resolve properly whereas
> -lXext does resolve.
>
> Hence I think that it's not a matter of other required flags or
> environment variables.
>
> Any ideas as to what may be wrong?
>
> -- dt
>
> P.S.:	Using the static version of -lXaw3d works fine.

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,
Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2K3, Canada