OT (?), AOL under win4lin

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 24 14:03:24 UTC 2004

Hi,

I *really* need AOL to function under win4lin so I'm hoping someone here might
have done it already.

I can sign-on and view all aol content but whenever I try to view any Internet
website I cannot.  In the browser window I see only a *, the actual source of
all webpages looks like this:

    <head>
    </head>
    *

If I use Internet Explorer directly things work fine.  AOL's news and weather
feeds and other AOL content also working fine, just the Internet part of
AOL doesn't work.

Here's the software that I'm running:

- Win4Lin version 5.5.12h-d
- Windows 98 (first edition with all updates)
- kernel 2.6.0 (also tried kernel 2.4.20)
- "AOL Canadian Version 8.0" revision 4129.660 downloaded from
   http://www.aol.ca/software.adp

I spent an hour and a half talking to AOL tech support; uninstalling,
reinstalling, rebooting (thank God it was win4lin), clearing cookies,
clearing cache, etc.  All those futile things that Windows users do when they
have no idea what wrong ;-)  Well, I have no idea what's wrong and neither
does AOL.

The win4lin computer is behind a netfilter firewall (2.4.22 kernel) that
allows all outbound traffic and I don't see any denies being logged.  I can't
rule out some wierd firewall issue (mtu problems maybe) but AOL isn't likely
to help me debug that.  Perhaps I need a netfilter helper module to properly
nat the AOL traffic?

Any ideas?

Thanks!