turning off printing or parallel port

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 24 13:26:45 UTC 2004

Paul Mora wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 22:07, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > The message I get while booting the vm is:
> >
> > Parallel port "/dev/parport0" is used by another program (such as
> > another instance of VMware Workstation) or driver (such as lp).
> > Device parallel0 will start disconnected.
>
> To see what process is open on the device, you can try using the "fuser"
> command.  For example, "fuser /dev/parport0".  If a process is open on
> the device or file, you'll get back the PID.

> > I was printing OK from W98 VMware vm.
> >
> > Then I installed CUPS and can print from linux host.
> >
> > Now I can't print from the W98 vm. I don't know how to free up the
> > parallel port in linux so I can print from the W98 vm. I tried
> > /sbin/service cups stop and get
> >
> > [lsf-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]$ /sbin/service cups stop
> > Stopping cups:                                             [FAILED]
> >
> > I tried /sbin/service cups stop and get
> >
> > [lsf-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]$ /sbin/service lpd stop
> > Stopping lpd:                                              [FAILED]
>
> Based on your output above, you're running the service command as a
> normal user.

Sorry, I pasted in the wrong output:

[root-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]# /sbin/service cups stop
Stopping cups:                                             [  OK  ]
[root-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]#

Still, in the vm I get,

Parallel port "/dev/parport0" is used by another program (such as another
instance of VMware Workstation) or driver (such as lp).
Failed to connect virtual device parallel0.

[...]

> > How can I suspend linux printing or close the parallel port or whatever
> > so I can print from the vm?
>
> Use the "fuser" command to see what process is running on the device.

[root-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]# /sbin/fuser cupsd
cupsd: No such file or directory
[root-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]# /sbin/fuser -a cupsd
cupsd: No such file or directory