Ever try freshmeat.org? changed to /etc/hosts

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 24 01:44:23 UTC 2004

> Roughly Fri January 23 2004 6:10 pm, Paul King said:
> > A couple of times I have typed in www.freshmeat.org by mistake, and got
> > immediately sent to a know-nothing placeholder site which has nothing b=
> ut
> > advertising on it. Anyone ever get suckered into that site?
> >
> <snip>
>
> Or, how about a different version of the same question, "Is there a quick=
> =20
> simple way to make sure I don't do this twice without having to change ru=
> les=20
> in IPTables?"=20
>
> Something /etc/hosts or /etc/hosts.deny   maybe something there I'm too b=
> usy=20
> now?

There are numerous possible ways:
 1.  Put an invalid IP address into /etc/hosts
 2.  Use the Squid proxy, and use an ACL to reject that domain.
 3.  Install privoxy, and block that domain.

The latter methods may eliminate the need to log in as root...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html