debian: what sound drivers ?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 23 02:45:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:34:22PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote
> On January 21, 2004 09:21 pm, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
> > > 2.4 kernels come only with OSS drivers as far as I know.  Do an
> > > "apt-cache search alsa"
> >
> > That's the syntax?
> >
> > apt-cache search alsa
>
> That will get you a list of packages that mention alsa.  You can find the
> appropriate one for your kernel from that list per instructions below.
>
> > > and you'll see modules for alsa that can be installed if that is
> > > what you want.  If you're running kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686 then you
> > > would have to "apt-get install alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-686".
>
> You probably need alsa-base and alsa-utils in addition to the appropriate
> kernel modules.

  My approach is to run
dselect
and select 2 [S]elect
<spacebar> to get out of the intro then search with the command
/alsa-modules

dselect tells you if anything extra is required when you select a module.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did