NTP with Windows Clients

Gregory Pleau gregory.pleau-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 21 17:57:47 UTC 2004

[ more snipping ]

> > Built-in NTP client?
> >
> > As far as I know there is no built-in NTP client in any version of
> > Windows.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
> [snip]
>
> Windows XP has a "synchronize to internet time" feature.  Hit "Adjust
> Date/Time" on the tray clock, and you should see the tab if you're in the
> Administrators group.
> Kareem

The service is known as "Windows Time" and is required if the computer
participates in an Active Directory ( Win 2000 / Win2003 server ). I have
found that service to be problematic where a Samba PDC is used instead (
mystery can't find domain controller stuff ).

Much easer to put the

net time \\ntpcomputer /set:yes

in the logon script for the user ( been working fine here for 6 years ), or
in the scheduled tasks if not using a Samba PDC. That might not be the most
"technically correct" solution but it was a heckuva lot easier than trying
to make NTP work for me. (The server updates itself using ntp).

- Greg