Small DNS snafu...

Drew Hamilton awh-z32R3RYGf1M at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 20 21:09:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 04:13:00PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I have made so changes (fixes) to my DNS zone files but unfortunately
> for me I had an original TTL of 1 week on the files (default). Is there
> anyway anyone knows to notify the root name servers that the record has
> changed early and to have the re-request the zone data?

As far as I know, the root name servers don't actually cache the zone
data.  Your problem is that the zone data is cached on all of the
nameservers worldwide that have looked up that zone information in the
past week.

By the way, thank you for reminding me that I have to shorten my
TTLs in preparation for my move next week.

 - awh