External USB2.0 HDD disconnect

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 20 20:30:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:13:13PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I guess the next step then is to make a manual backup, put the server
> into init 1 and then change all the filesystems to LVM... -Shoul- be
> easy enough... (I know, why don't I just kick Murphy in the arse and see
> if he leaves me alone still, too! ;) ).

If you're dropping to singluser mode, you can just remount the fs to backup
as read-only (you can even do this for root; /etc/mtab won't reflect the
change, naturally, since it will be on a ro filesystem).  ;)

Using an LVM snapshot wouldn't require going down to singleuser.

With some fast compression you could probably easily fit several backups
on one matching HD with very little, if any, speed loss.  You really don't
need to backup empty space, either.

--
taa

   It is better to copulate than never.