CM8738 "Sound Blaster compatible"?

Gregory Pleau gregory.pleau-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 19 15:19:25 UTC 2004

 "Chris F.A. Johnson" wrote:

> > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Chris Aitken wrote:
> >
> > > I recently installed VMware Workstation  4.0.5. Then I installed a
> > > W98SE vm (virtual machine).
> > >
> > > The vm plays CDs, but will not recognize my card (I'm still trying to
> > > wrap my mind around that). So, I don't get all the bells and whistles
> > > (like a Volume Control; and Pro Tools Free multitrack recording
> software
> > > will install but won't run). So, I went to the VMware HCL and found
> > > this:
> > >
> > > Sound
> > > Sound output and input
> > > Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI compatible (MIDI sound and joysticks
> > > not supported)

Question:

Are you trying to get the OS inside the VM to recognize your audio card?
- If so the VM Guest OS will only have access to an 'emulated' sound blaster
that VMWare provides. Also the device has to be 'connected' to the VM
session at the time.

Are you trying to get VMWare itself to see the audio hardware?
- VMWare usually works where ESD is working. Have not tried it with ALSA.

No idea if I'm even remotely close to your situation but that's my $.02 for
what it's worth.
- Greg