how to increase existing partition ?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 19 04:15:58 UTC 2004

On January 18, 2004 09:30 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:53:43AM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > Advantages of /usr separate from / :
> >
> > - ability to mount /usr read-only  (I don't think / can be read-only
> > because of /etc/mtab at least).  I think anything that can be read-only
> > should be, makes things a _little_ trickier for the exploit of the week.
>
> Most exploits attack things in memory, not on disk, and once access is
> gained, calling remount to rw is no big deal.

You probably missed my attempt at underlining the word little ;-)

Anything, however trivial, that can slow down an automated exploit is
worthwhile in my books.   I rather doubt that most exploit scripts do
sufficient error checking to work around assumptions such as
writeable/executable /tmp or writeable /usr.  This will obviously not
appreciably slow down a dedicated attacker with more than a modicum of
intelligence.

> Having to remount /usr before and after all upgrades is a serious hassle for

I don't consider "mount -o remount,rw /usr" once in a while a hassle, if it
were a hassle (let's say if I was running unstable) then I'd just have apt
automatically do the remounts for me.