port forwarding and ssh

Mel Seder melseder-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 19 03:32:52 UTC 2004

other corrections made.  Sorry for the errors :-(

** Multiple corrections/revisions have been made in this posting.

my netgear port forwarding screen

> > shows SERVICES as "192.168.0" and nothing for the fourth digit(s).
> > I tried to change the services to read "192.168.0.1" to but when I

tried to change the services to read "192.168.0.1" Netgear says invalid
service.

I can ssh into my linuxbox downstairs (192.168.0.3) with no problem.

Also on the NetGear Port Forwarding screen:

Under the column headed "Service Name" 20-22 is shown,  and to the far
right is the Server IP address of 192.168.0.1

ipchicken.com tells me the address the outside world can use to log
into my system and when I ssh to what ipchicken.com says I get the
message from ssh saying "connection refused".

 I'm *guessing* that maybe SERVICES should be set to what ipchicken
reported instead of a local lan address.  Is that a bad guess?

Any clues or likely problems things to look for?

 Additional info:
 my Router is a Netgear RP614
 I can successfully ping my the address IPChicken found for me.

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)