how to increase existing partition ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 19 02:33:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 03:03:51PM -0500, Tim Writer wrote:
> LVM definitely makes life easier and, if you have some unpartitioned space
> left on your disk, a conversion to LVM is fairly simple.  There's an article
> with step by step instructions on IBM's Developer Works site and I think the
> LVM HOWTO also covers this conversion.
>
> I installed my notebook (single 30GB disk) and my desktop (two 80GB disks,
> mirrored) using LVM for just this reason.  I was tired of continually
> repartitioning, messing with symlinks, etc.  Now, if I need more space in
> /usr (for example), I shutdown to singler user, unmount /usr (another good
> reason to separate it from /), extend the relevant logical volume, resize the
> file system (with resize2fs), remount it, and I'm done.  Typically, it's a
> five minute process.  Now, as long as my file systems are large enough for a
> base installation, I really don't care how big they are.

If you used XFS or (I think) JFS, you wouldn't even have to shutdown to
single user and unmount the filesystem to resize it.  That's the
advantage of the big boys filesystems. :)  I have run resize2fs on a
500GB drive resizing it to 1000GB (on LVM).  It took about 5 hours.  I
sure wish XFS and JFS had been around when that system was configured
initially.

Lennart Sorensen