how to increase existing partition ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 19 02:30:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:53:43AM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Advantages of /usr separate from / :
>
> - ability to mount /usr read-only  (I don't think / can be read-only because
>   of /etc/mtab at least).  I think anything that can be read-only should be,
>   makes things a _little_ trickier for the exploit of the week.

Most exploits attack things in memory, not on disk, and once access is
gained, calling remount to rw is no big deal.  Having to remount /usr
before and after all upgrades is a serious hassle for a marginal slow
down in the speed an exploit can be performed.  Unless you can prevent
the filesystem from ever being remounted rw, it doesn't do much good.
It somehow reminds me of people wanting to rename root, or delete all
the man pages to make it harder for people to hack the system, and yes I
have encountered people who had done both of those in the name of
increased system security.  Someone even thought making /sbin be /.sbin
instead would improve security.

> - if you're using lvm and/or software raid you might wish to keep /usr
>   separate ... at least lvm on / isn't highly recommended from what I hear.

I can't think of a reason / can't be lvm, other than it can't be
unmounted for resizing work and such (although some filesystems don't
need it to be.)  Booting from it can be a pain, so perhaps /boot should
be seperate.  I rather like having / on software raid1.

> Absolutely.  I haven't tried lvm yet but I do hear good things about it.

It can do many nice things for rearanging disk space.

Lennart Sorensen