how to increase existing partition ?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 18 05:53:43 UTC 2004

On January 17, 2004 09:58 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Having seperate /tmp is sometimes good, seperate /var is good if you
> store lots of logs and don't want to getting cut off, /home seperate
> makes sense if you have lots of users and are not using quotas, having
> /usr seperate from / really doesn't accomplish anything useful, and

Advantages of /usr separate from / :

- ability to mount /usr read-only  (I don't think / can be read-only because
  of /etc/mtab at least).  I think anything that can be read-only should be,
  makes things a _little_ trickier for the exploit of the week.

- if you're using lvm and/or software raid you might wish to keep /usr
  separate ... at least lvm on / isn't highly recommended from what I hear.

> /data.  Keeps life simple and quite reliable.  Using LVM and resizeable
> filesystems is another way to deal with it and quite useful to learn.

Absolutely.  I haven't tried lvm yet but I do hear good things about it.