how to increase existing partition ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 18 03:42:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:12:53AM -0800, James wrote:
> i used to have this system installed with RH7.2. three partitions root boot swap
> now i have learned more about linux than 3 years ago, i want to rebuild this system.
>
> having a larg /home is for the samba PDC server.
> /var/mail is for postfix mail server.
> /boot is a small partition 20M and no harm to have it.
> i agree having /usr/local seperate from /usr is not necessary in my case.

If it is a busy mail server, having a seperate dir may make sense.
Depends how much mail you are handling and storing.  I hate seperate
/boot.  What if I want to store 35MB of kernels and initrds?  Now where
am I supposed to store them if /boot is full.  It's not useful in
general (I do use them with software raid1 to get around boot loader
limitations, where I make it 64MB or so).

> sounds just like what i had before. 3 partitions. what does yours different from a simple 3
> partitions?

I won't seperate /usr from /, /usr/local I don't have much use for so I
don't worry about it either.  /usr/src is a bit of an unfortunate
invention that probably should be somewhere else.

> i have seen LVM while google for answer( kernel support needed ? given that /usr is too small, can
> i build kernel in other directory than /usr ? ) i will take a further look.

You can build your kernel anywhere you want.  It doesn't care.

Lennart Sorensen