Cheap Linux Laptops

Rick Tomaschuk rickl-ZACYGPecefkNbK0NzMECUg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 17 15:44:21 UTC 2004

Below is from an email list I subscribe to.
RickT

Toronto Area Novell Users Group
http://www.TorontoNUI.ca

NETWORK WORLD NEWSLETTER: PHIL HOCHMUTH ON LINUX
01/14/04
Today's focus:  Sub-$700 Linux laptops on the way

Dear Richard Tomaschuk,

In this issue:

* Where to hunt for Linux bargains
* Links related to Linux
* Featured reader resource

Dear IT Professional,

**Only 2 weeks left to register for LinuxWorld Conference & Expo
and save with advance pricing**

Register by January 19, 2004 with Priority Code: E-GENF to
receive a complimentary Exhibit Hall Pass. Or, register for the
conference package of your choice and save with advance pricing
currently available.

http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=53252

NETWORK WORLD SPECIAL REPORT: TAKING STOCK OF YOUR IT CAREER
AND BRINGING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL IN 2004

Not sure if you've made the right career choice? This Special
Report focuses on the network IT professional's career - what
continues to make it a good versus bad career choice and how you
can prepare yourself for a lifelong rewarding career as a
network IT professional. Download your free copy today
(registration required) at:
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=53473

Today's focus:  Sub-$700 Linux laptops on the way

By Phil Hochmuth

Linux laptop lovers who are searching for a rare bargain - a
pre-configured Linux laptop for under $700, for example - may
want to check out the latest offerings from Elitegroup Computer
Systems. The Taiwanese computer manufacture last week announced
it is offering a line of laptop computers running the
Linux-based LindowsOS for under $700.

ECS's A535 laptop runs an AMD 4 1.4 GHz processor and ships with
128M bytes of memory and an 80G byte hard drive. The six-pound
machine also includes integrated Wi-Fi-based wireless LAN
networking capabilities, as well as four USB 2.0 ports built in.
Also built in is a 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet port (remember
when 1G NICs alone were over $700?). The notebooks also have
optional DVD/ROM drives, as well as a 14.1-inch 1024x760
resolution monitor.

ECS says 300,000 of the machines will be shipped for sale in the
U.S. The laptops run the LindowsOS Laptop Edition operating
system, which includes additional power management capabilities
and native Wi-Fi support.

Getting a Linux-loaded laptop from leading notebook manufactures
is no longer a simple task as many major vendors have pulled
back their Linux laptop offerings. But Linux laptops are still
popular especially with developers and a host of online
resources and communities exist for the "do-it-yourself" crowd.
Sites like <http://www.linux-laptop.net/> offer comprehensive
instructions for installing Linux on hundreds of notebooks from
dozens of manufactures. There's even a site
( <http://www.windowsrefund.net/> ) dedicated to helping people
get a refund on Windows operating system software from PC
manufactures when replacing a notebook operating system with
Linux.

RELATED EDITORIAL LINKS

Elitegroup Computer systems
http://www.ecs.com.tw/