CM8738 "Sound Blaster compatible"?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 18:01:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:33:12PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I recently installed VMware Workstation  4.0.5. Then I installed a
> W98SE vm (virtual machine).
>
> The vm plays CDs, but will not recognize my card (I'm still trying to
> wrap my mind around that). So, I don't get all the bells and whistles
> (like a Volume Control; and Pro Tools Free multitrack recording software
> will install but won't run). So, I went to the VMware HCL and found
> this:
>
> Sound
> Sound output and input
> Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI compatible (MIDI sound and joysticks
> not supported)
>
> How do I know if my CM8738 is likewise compatible? I don't know where to
> start googling for that.
>
> It's looking more and more like the vm will not run Pro Tools Free (at
> least not with my soundcard), but I want to figure this out in case
> I decide to buy a soundcard that will run Pro Tools Free in a W98SE vm.
>
> I have posted a similar query on a VMware forum, and I have contacted
> the webmaster at digidesign (makers of Pro Tools Free) to ask for help
> registering on their forum as well. Those may give me some VMware and
> digidesign feedback, but I thought I'd ask linux people as well.

Make sound work in Linux, preferably using alsa.  Then add a sound
device to your vmware configuration, and install sound blaster pci 128
(or whatever an ess 1371 is) driver in win98 (I suspect install vmware
utils menu option may even do that for you) and you should be all set.

VMware uses the linux sound devices, and emulates an ess 1371 to the
guest OS.

Lennart Sorensen