[NTL] Where can a new user get help?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 16:40:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:51:27AM -0500, Gregory Pleau wrote:
[snip]
> viruses and spyware. Of course those will appear if end-users move to Linux
> and run as root all the time ( and you KNOW they will, just as everyone
> seems to want to run as Administrator on Windows).

Well if the default user created first by XP wasn't and admin user,
perhaps things would be better.  Not that being a different user would
fix outlook macro viruses at all.  That is just dumb programing and
design.

> The fact that a particular printer driver may not exist for Linux makes my
> point. Brain dead hardware and software vendors are not helping Linux at
> all, and these are basically specialized programs that are missing on Linux.

So don't give them your money.  Send them a nice letter saying how you
didn't given them your money for product X but got product Y instead
because it works with free software.

> You have companies like HP that claim to support Linux on one hand with
> their servers, and on the other hand I have an HP Scanner that will probably
> NEVER have a sane backend.

That is why you always buy epson printers and scanners.  It's better to
support a company with better products that also released programing
specs to anyone that wants them.

You want hardware makers to change, support the ones that are already
doing the right thing.

Lennart Sorensen