Mandrake or Fedora?

Matthew Godycki mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 15:27:36 UTC 2004

> From: Chris Keelan <rufmetal-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org>
> Date: 2004/01/14 Wed PM 11:07:40 EST
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Mandrake or Fedora?
>
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:57:48 -0500
> CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > Funny you should say that. I would pick Mandrake as my number one
> > choice to give to someone who has never touched Linux before, in fact,
> > I did on the weekend.
>
> My partner, who can turn a computer on, on a good day, is running Slack
> 9.0 on a previously-loved laptop. "Useability" is going the way of "TCO"
> as a meaningless marketing term.
>
> That's not to say that the points you make about layered levels of
> control are not valid.
>
> To the original poster: I will download and burn both Fedora Core and
> the free(beer) version of Mdk9.2, if you'd like. You can try each and
> decide for yourself.

Thank you all for your input, it has certainly been an interesting discussion to follow.  I think for my uses I would actually be perfectly fine with either distribution.  However, since I should be more familiar with Fedora (due to my RH background) I will start with that first and see where that goes.

I guess I'll be keeping my cable modem busy over the next day or so :)

> Asking about the relative merits of Linux distros invites the ultimate
> display of partisanship since emacs v. vi.

Let's not go there ;)

-Matt