Mandrake or Fedora?

Paul Mora paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 04:43:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 22:30, mark wrote:

> Hmm, I'm actually sorry I said anything on this thread. . .the asinine
> flag-waving patriotism that some feel toward certain linux distrubutions
> is something I'd rather not take part in.  I tried a few (SuSE,
> Mandrake) and currently settled on Mepis.  They're not significantly
> different.

Hey, don't be sorry!  That's what this forum is about... discussion.
It's interesting to see what distros people are using, and why.  People
will always be protective of their distro, and comments may come off as
"flag-waving"; that's perfectly alright.  Everyone's entitled to their
opinion.

It's really all about what you're used to using.  For example, I've been
using Red Hat Linux for years; since 4.0.  While it is not my favourite
by any means, it is what I am the most familiar with.  Familiarity is a
powerful thing.  Having to "relearn" a new distribution, with it's
unique quirks, startup scripts, way of doing things can be daunting.  I
also find myself with less and less time to fiddle and hack a distro to
do what I want; I like to have stuff working right more or less out of
the box.

On my to-do list is to try some of the more "hacker" distributions, like
true Debian and Gentoo.  I've heard some very interesting things about
that last one.

pm

--
Paul Mora <paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>