Mandrake or Fedora?

Chris Keelan rufmetal-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 04:07:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:57:48 -0500
CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Funny you should say that. I would pick Mandrake as my number one
> choice to give to someone who has never touched Linux before, in fact,
> I did on the weekend.

My partner, who can turn a computer on, on a good day, is running Slack
9.0 on a previously-loved laptop. "Useability" is going the way of "TCO"
as a meaningless marketing term.

That's not to say that the points you make about layered levels of
control are not valid.

To the original poster: I will download and burn both Fedora Core and
the free(beer) version of Mdk9.2, if you'd like. You can try each and
decide for yourself.

Asking about the relative merits of Linux distros invites the ultimate
display of partisanship since emacs v. vi.

~ C

--
That's like banging rocks together and being proud that you've
re-derived fire from first principles. It's boring  ~ Jamie Zawinski