strange software installation problem

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 13 16:32:04 UTC 2004

Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Is it a good idea to add something like "exec" into the /etc/fstab? Are
> there many viruses spread by cdrom?

That depends.  If you use the user option with your cdrom in /etc/fstab then
_any_ user of the system can mount a cdrom.  If you trust all your users,
(e.g. if this is your home system), adding exec is safe.  Otherwise, it's
another potential avenue of attack.  Of course, noexec doesn't buy you much
additional security as most users will have access to a file system (like
/home) where they can execute binaries.  So, it's simple enough to copy a
program from the CD to their home.

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Anton Markov wrote:

> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
> >

> ------------
> Alex Maynard
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Economics
> University of Toronto
> 150 St. George St., N304
> Toronto ON M5S 3G7
> Canada
> e-mail: amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
> tel: (416) 978-4358

tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada