Losing nameservers

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 13 15:23:23 UTC 2004

I'm having a problem with losing access to my nameserver every so often.

I have an office LAN, with a DSL connection running through an Airport,
which does NAT. This setup works fine when I boot my workstation, except
that every so often, I seem to lose access to the nameservers at which
point the only solution I've found is to reboot. Two interesting points

   - this only happens on my workstation, which runs KRUD 9 and not
     on any of the other boxes we have hooked up, a Powerbook and a
     couple of test machines running Windows and FedoraC1 linux. They
     keep on keeping on.

   - I can still access sites that I accessed when name resolution was
     working, so probably they're still cached, but when I try to go to
     a new site it hangs.

So, I'm wondering what I should be looking for in the logs or what tools
I could use to get a handle on what's going on here next time it
happens, Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

--
Cheapersafer Computer Support