linux VMware w W98 SE in vm

Gregory Pleau gregory.pleau-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 12 22:27:37 UTC 2004

> I don't remember even configuring that. Virtual Machine Ctrl Panel reports
> the
> virtual disk as 'Compact 4.0 GB'. 'Capacity' section has 'Current size:
> 768 Kb',
> System Free: 2.5 Gb, Maximum size: 4.0 Gb'. And, yes, those lowercase b's
> are
> VMware's - I hope that is just ignorance on their part and they really
> mean KB and
> GB.

That's normal. VMWare makes a 'virtual' partition but does not allocate
space until it is needed, to save strain on the host filesystem. You are
limited to 2.5 GB right now, as that's the point your host system (linux)
will run out of space. The partition is reported to the guest OS as 4 Gb so
it doesn't get confused with all the resizing.

You may want to run fsck against your host filesystem to rule out something
silly like a filesystem problem when VMWare is trying to allocate space for
the install.

- Greg