linux VMware w W98 SE in vm

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 12 12:16:48 UTC 2004

Chris Aitken wrote:

> Lennart Sorensen wrote:

[...]

> > Is your cdrom drive working properly?
>
> Yes, I play CDs from it, just installed rh7.3 from it...
>
> The installation starts OK, but then I get the error that there is no
> bootable CD or floppy (and both are present). Other times the installation
> goes a little further (I even managed an fdisk to create the virtual C: drive
> this morning) and I get the 'you need  7340032 bytes available on your C:
> drive' (where this 'C: drive is inreality I don't know, but my 1GB  /  is
> only 11% used).

I foubd the following in VMware help:

# Note: In some host configurations, the virtual machine is not able to boot
from the installation CD-ROM. You can work around that problem by creating an
ISO image file from the installation CD-ROM. Use the Virtual Machine Control
Panel to connect the virtual machine's CD drive to the ISO image file, then
power on the virtual machine.

So, I went to Edit > Virtual machine Settings (i.e. Virtual Machine Control
Panel) >  [double-clicked the cdrom] >  Use ISO image >
mnt/cdrom/win98/setup.exe

I tried starting the vm again and got,

'Missing operating System'.

[...]