sympatico DSL & Mandrake

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 22:00:54 UTC 2004

This is just a guess, but when I first set up Mandrake to use DSL, I
used the wizard to set up the connection and of course it failed and
then I used rp-pppoe and I found out that you first have to remove the
interface that the wizard has tried to set up on eth0, otherwise
rp-pppoe will set up the connection on the next available interface
which is eth1 ( which means that you won't be able to connect because
the browser will be looking at the wrong interface).

Here's the relevant bit from the 'read me file' at the Roaring Penguin site.

"

4. Edit /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
-----------------------------

The file /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf contains configuration information for the
ADSL connection.  You need to edit the following items:

- Change ETH=eth1 to the correct Ethernet device for your modem.
- Change USER=bxxxnxnx-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org to your proper ADSL user-ID."

Its also a good idea to tell eth0 beforehand to accept DHCP (it may be
redundant, but it seemed to make a difference on my system).

When you configure rp-pppoe to be always on, you must reboot for it to
take effect because the boot sequence is where the script writes the
service call. Trying to call it after the fact has no effect, in your
case because Mandrake is directing the command to wards the interface
that it borked up earlier.

HTH

John