strange software installation problem

Paul Mora paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 21:28:02 UTC 2004

Hi Alex.

I'm not familiar with Debian per se, but it could be that the CD-ROM is
mounted with the "noexec" option, which disables the execution of
programs directly from it.  I've seen this as default in other distros.
Check your /etc/fstab, look for the line that corresponds to your
CD-ROM, and see if there's a "noexec" option there.  If so, remove it,
and the remount the CD with "mount -o remount /cdrom".

You can also get around it by just running "bash /cdrom/install" if the
program is a shell script.

pm

--
Paul Mora <paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>