sympatico DSL connection and Mandrake 9.2

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 21:20:55 UTC 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:05:35 -0500
David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> You *funny* ! I'm sure my friend will agree when I tell him
> "all your crappy ol' computer (PII266) needs is another older crappier
> computer.
>     and some supporting peripherals..

Not *and*, *or*.

> should take more than a week.
>        we're gonna have to get all this furniture outta here, though.."
> I'm sure it's the smart, solid thing to do, but I'd rather offer
> something more elegant.

A week?! Furniture?! A Linksys router is the same size as the DSL modem, give or
take, and very elegant, at least insofar as appearance and functionality.

> >In the process you describe above, were you using the Mandrake Control
> >Center's
> >Internet Connection Wizard? I'm not too familiar with it, never having had to
> >use it, but if you haven't tried that, I would suggest you try it, at least
> >as a
> >first step.
> >
> That /was/ my first step. Unsucessful.
> then rp-pppoe
> soon newer rp-pppoe+gui
> then the Alcatel modem
> then knoppix, then WidowsEXPee (a cracked mutant pirate version)

If *none* of those would negotiate a connection, then there are other problems
than the software running on the computer at work here. I would say either
hardware probs with the NIC, the modem, or further downstream (Sympatico's end).

> >But in the end, I really highly recommend getting a broadband router
> >in there, it's just so much easier and more secure, and they're not *that*
> >expensive (free in fact if you've got the abovementioned old machine lyin'
> >around).
> >

> Umm .. that's right Joe, if you have /anything/ lying around it' free ..
> but we don't.
> what I might have lying around is an Alcatel 1meg modem, perhaps I try
> that ?

Again, if you haven't got a box lyin' around, that's where the broadband router
comes in.

Anyway, just a suggestion :-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813