sympatico DSL connection and Mandrake 9.2

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 20:06:48 UTC 2004

JoeHill wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:04:31 -0500
>David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>>Available on the disks, you say. If it was not installed initally, would
>>I go for the package manager in MCC to get it via rpm ?
>>

>yes, or in a term, as root:
>
>urpmi rp-pppoe

OK, so I had said friend issue the above urpmi command; everything
already installed.
adsl-setup went along smoothly, with only one hitch;
the option to have connection "always on" didn't seem to take. "on
demand" was the result every time.
after adsl-setup Mozilla couldn't connect.
adsl-start reported "already running"
adsl-stop claimed to "kill pppd"
adsl-start again still reported "already running"

net result; friend (new to computers) can't get at the highspeed
connection he's paying for.
    has seen the command line a few too many times, wonders if linux is
really all that cool.
    his linux geek friend (me) is (am) stumped.

I'm goung to try;
    bringing the newest  rp-pppoe-3.5-3mdk.i586.rpm and
rp-pppoe-gui-3.5-3mdk.i586.rpm on disk.
    urpmi-ing those (how do I point to these files? just urpmi
/tmp/wherever/whatever.rpm ?)
    bring a knoppix disk to see if pppoe-config can pull it off.

suggestions welcomed