rh 7.3 instalation

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 18:20:20 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:05:57PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote
> You know guys, it could be that his machine isn't powerful enough for
> more than 7.3. Please, be polite or be quiet (or, gosh, be helpful!).

  Actually, Debian Stable runs quite well on an old 433 mhz machine with
128 megs of RAM <g>.  It even runs GNOME and KDE *APPLICATIONS* too.
But don't even *THINK* of running GNOME or KDE *DESKTOP*.  I use FVWM,
and there are other lightweight window managers.

  It's sad to see the end of 7.3.  It was, in my mind, one of the best
general-purpose linux distros of all time.  Unfortunately, Redhat fell
prey to the Redmond version-du-jour disease.  I used to laugh at people
who bought...
Windows 3.11    in 1994
Windows 95      in 1995
Windows 95 OSr2 in 1996
Windows 98      in 1998
Windows 98 SE   in 1999
Windows ME      in 2000
Windows XP home in 2001

  Redhat was doing the same thing with 8.0 and 9.0.  With the end of 7.3
support looming, I switched to Debian in the fall.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did