rh 7.3 instalation

Garth Meisel Garth-xsdjDKdUMl2akBO8gow8eQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 02:40:48 UTC 2004

<snip>
> My concerns are mainly security and interoperability. It is just simply
> maddening to download an rpm and find it wants some library that came out a
> year after the version of Linux you've got. Especially when that is
> something like libssl. It's also maddening when you find a package in /tmp
> called redhat-7.3.rootkit.tgz on a machine that runs no servers. I have
> seen both and that is the basis of my choosing to question the 7.3 install.

And no matter how RH hard-core you are, or how SuSE you are, or how WHATEVER
LINUX DISTRO you are, this is without a doubt the MOST reasonable summing of
the factors involved.  And this is WHY we don't STOP at 7.3 or 8 or 1539 and
literally thousands of the world's best Linux people constantly work to
improve 7 or 7.1 etc while politics dictates the demise of M$ for exactly the
opposite thought in general.  Just my opinion but I can upgrade or up2date
until my keyboard and mouse turn blue, without rebuilding or installing the
latest kernel, it's all for not!  Technology changes far too quickly and this
is what Linux stands for in sorts.  It's either keep up or go back to Windoze
3.11.
I'll go with the flow, and enter 2004 with the latest regardless of how happy
or content I'm led to believe I am either by chance or fate.

Sorry if I spilled any troll food on the way.  I was running and continue to
run for the life of my computer(s).