rh 7.3 instalation

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 00:12:34 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:

> On January 10, 2004 02:05 pm, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
> > You know guys, it could be that his machine isn't powerful enough for
> > more than 7.3. Please, be polite or be quiet (or, gosh, be helpful!).
>
> I really was trying to be helpful.  While supporting an existing Redhat 7.3
> system is fine, in my mind installing Redhat 7.3 on a brand new system is a
> complete waste of time.
>
> If for some reason you're wanting to stick with Redhat then go with their
> enterprise workstation (or server if that is appropriate).
>
> If you're installing the old version of Redhat because the later versions of
> Redhat are too bloated then it's time to look at other solutions.
>
> If you're installing the old version of Redhat because the later versions of
> Redhat cost too much then it's time to look at other solutions.

Pretty mundane reasons: I have a slow connection so downloading is a drag, I
happen to have rh7.3 disks, sound is already compiled into the kernel, Netscape
is included, I have the rh8.0 disks so I can upgrade if I want OO and other
bells & whistles. Redhat is more of a multimedia system than 8.0. It's fat
enough to have goodies, but not fat enough that it runs slowly...

Chris