rh 7.3 instalation

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 19:14:29 UTC 2004

| From: Chris Aitken <aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>

| I am installing rh 7.3.

This is old, and newer versions are better in a number of
ways.  But they require more resources, so I guess that there is a
reason to install it.  I'm typing this into a RHL7.0 system (K6-200
with 64M of RAM).

There are updates to RHL7.3 that were released as late as Christmas
Eve, but there will be no more (unless the Fedora legacy folks do
them).

| There was an error installing curl-7.9.5-2. This can indicate media
| failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems. This is a fatal
| error and your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and try
| your install again. Press the OK button to reboot your system.

Red Hat installers support multiple consoles (after a fairly early
point).  Flip between them using ALT-F1, ALT-F2, etc.  Each console
does something different.  One will probably show you more clearly
what has gone wrong (assuming you are a LINUX adept).  Another one
will have a shell prompt.  You can use that to poke around to explore
the problem.

| hda2  /  1GB
| hda3    swap    1GB
| hda5    /boot    64MB
| hda6    /home    3.5GB
| hda7    /usr    4.5GB
|
| I thought that would do it.

I'd have thought so too.  On my RHL7.2 system, all curl files are
installed on /usr.  Mind you, the RPM database is somewhere like
/var/lib/rpm -- you could have run out of space for updating this.

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org  voice: +1 416 482-8253