Allergies [was Re:CaffeBickford; Torontos first Open Source Caffe - the focus of nest Tuesdays meeting]

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 14:43:04 UTC 2004

CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> writes:
> One of the theories that is being advanced is that our aseptic society has
> pretty much eliminated serious challenges to the immune system so an idle
> immune system looks for something to do and turns upon itself.

Well, I can provide an example for the opposite side.  Five kids and a
_really_ messy house [hey, we homeschool; you can't find time for
everything :)].  So far, no known allergies.

I'm willing to believe that this is true.  Anecdotally, the cleanest houses
that I know of tend to have kids with some allergies.

However, I did see a documentary where some guy was blaming some [at least
pollen] allergies on the way that we do horticulture in the city.
Apparently, a lot of the trees and shrubs are "male-only" and no females to
catch released pollens.  It prevents unchecked reproduction and extreme work.

The show was a while ago and I didn't pay much attention.  It seems a little
outrageous [it's not like flowers and buds are pollen magnets to catch
everything] but there you go.  My rambling post for the weekend.
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                            starnix inc.
phone: 905-771-0017 x242                        thornhill, ontario, canada