CaffeBickford; Torontos first Open Source Caffe - the focus of nest Tuesdays meeting

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 06:09:40 UTC 2004

At 17:41 09/01/2004 -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
>Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:34:24PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
>>

>>>  There are many aspects of the operation that will require linux expertise;
>>>

>>         _Food_
>>As someone with allergies it's critical for me to know /exactly/ what has
>>gone into a recipe. A way to do an ingredients check (myself) without
>>having to harass a server (who probably doesn't know the answer) would be
>>MOST appreciated! :) It doesn't need to be a recipe, but it should be a
>>correct list of ingredients.
>>
>>emma
>>PS for the insanely curious: www.emmajane.net/food/allergies
>>

>That's some wild list of things not to eat !

Sadly, it is not altogether unusual these days in children especially. Both
my children have allergies to some things, like nuts and peanuts, that can
be life threatening. Doctors are not sure why there is a such a spike in
the number of children with allergies and asthma in the West. One of the
theories that is being advanced is that our aseptic society has pretty much
eliminated serious challenges to the immune system so an idle immune system
looks for something to do and turns upon itself. Children from areas of the
world where pollution is far higher and sanitary conditions are far worse
do not seem to have the same rate of asthma and allergies, though they may
suffer from other nasty things like cholera, dysentery, and malaria.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419