Tomcat4 restart/stop problem.

Lance F. Squire lance-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 20:28:26 UTC 2004

I can't seem to restart or stop a tomcat4 server on my system,
I get :

Stopping tomcat4: Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01
Exception during startup processing
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)
                                                            [FAILED]

and hangs there until ^c.

Now this system was working fine until I tryed to allow a developer
access to the tomcat files.

If it's something I did or something they did I don't know. Unfortunatly
the output above means nothing to me...

The /var/log/tomcat4/ files show nothing.

I've not been able to find anything like this on the web, just the usual
it's and much longer 'it already stopped' message.

Oh, and I can prove it's still running too, the previous default .jsp
apps are still accessable...

I could 'kill' it, but:

1) the developer still woulden't be able to restart it.

2) I'm not sure it won't restart for the same reasons.

Any help/insite or general pointing to relivent information appreciated.

Thanks

Lance F. Squire